07 August 2012

Her: Update on the canning front

As I sit here writing this blog, I'm waiting for the pressure to go down in my pressure cooker so I can take out my 25 jars (totalling 14 pints) of various apple preserves (applebutter and applesauce from the trees in our yard). It was a bit of work peeling and coring those apples (the standing caused my ankles to swell), but it will be well worth it down the road when we want to feed some applesauce to our baby. We know what's in it, plus it's naturally organic! Yay for DIY baby food!

Other than our apple preserves, we've done 6 quarts of peaches, 5 pints of zucchini marmalade (with zucchini from our garden), and 3 quarts of pickles (also with cucs and dill from our garden) recently. I'm kinda in a canning mood these days, so I'll probably do some more spaghetti sauce, soups, pumpkin butter, and chili soon, plus way more pickles. I really do enjoy the whole process, but I think we're going to run out of room in our pantry soon (haha)! We've got to do some rearranging, but this is not a bad reason to do so.

I just took the lid off of the canner. Is it weird that the sound of sealing lids is music to my ears?

Yay for canning season!

(From the left, zucchini marmalade, applebutter, pickles, applesauce, and peaches).


No comments:

Post a Comment